Thursday, June 13, 2019

Two majors, two cultures

Samantha Brandt is a Verrazano graduate, Class of 2018. She complete majors in International Studies and Political Science.


Sam giving a presentation
My name is Samantha Brandt, and I am a completing my double majors of International Studies and Political Science, with a double minor in Business and Chinese.  I used the inspiration of the wide selection of classes to complete a Capstone that takes this all into account.  I researched Feminism in China, and how political and economic factors have impacted their society.  


This was not an easy topic to come up with, originally I had many ideas that I wanted to work with, and the topic changed as I worked on my essay.  I had to be fluid with what I was working with, as my research, and the information I was coming up with were all related, but I found myself focusing on slightly different things than planned.  It was an opportunity to learn how to go with the flow, let things come naturally, and grow as a person.
Sam working the table!


In today’s society, feminism is widely discussed on whether it is a good or positive influence in our society, but rarely do we hear people discussing its importance in other countries.  

 I wanted to expand my horizons and learn about the difficulties other people face around the world.  In my college career, I’ve focused heavily on international political science, and in my life I’ve worked with the Girl Scouts of a Greater New York in order to improve the lives of girls in my hometown.  This Capstone project enabled me to have insight necessary to continue to move forward with my cause.  Nothing comes about without hard work, and seeing the effort other women are putting in, makes me want to inspire others to do the same. Without having done this research, I wouldn’t have expanded my knowledge and pushed my own boundaries.  





No comments:

Post a Comment