Monday, June 24, 2019

Finding a path to pharmacy

Regina Klimchuk is a Verrazano graduate, class of 2018. She earned a degree in Biology with a concentration in Health Science, and minors in biochemistry and chemistry. 

It was almost like yesterday, when I remember receiving my acceptance letter into the Verrazano Honors program at the College of Staten Island. At first, I didn’t really have much knowledge about the program, or what to major in, but I made a decision to attend after a riveting orientation. After the first couple of biology and chemistry courses labs, I realized that I belong in a science laboratory field. I soon heard of independent research, which was opened to students with Dr. Raja in the chemistry department. Once I showed my interest in working in the laboratory, I was luckily paired with an amazing PhD student, Andrew Mancuso. 


Regina, holding the oar aloft, on a kayaking VELA
At this time, I scored a job as a certified pharmacy technician and as the months went by, I found my passion in pharmaceuticals. When coming into the lab one day, I spoke to Andrew telling him about my interests in this field and right away we were able to work on projects pertaining to drug delivery.  Each year, I would find out more information about the latest research in the field, and find ways to incorporate that into my studies and classes. One of the most influential classes that I have taken in my undergraduate is biochemistry with Dr. Naider, who has published over 250 peer-reviewed articles. Being a part of his class gave me insight on today’s technology in the science field, as well as knowledge on how innovating biochemistry is in the drug field. By further pursuing my interest in medicine, I was allowed to volunteer at the pharmacy department in Bayshore Hospital located in New Jersey. 


On top of classes, I have participated in many Vela events, which have led me to find friends with passionate interests of their own. I learned about architecture in New York City, how to relieve stress fro, and even how to put together a professional resume. Being part of the honors program provided me access to internships, community service, scholarships, and motivation to be on the Dean’s List, which contributed to my college experience. The Verrazano Honors program at the College of Staten Island has taught me how to be a diverse intellectual, and allowed me to have a complete open door to my interests in research. I am glad to say that this is my fourth year in the program, as well as my fourth year participating in Dr. Raja’s laboratory. I hope that all students find their calling in college and allow for their college experience to be a rich one. My word of advice to incoming students is to seize every opportunity that the program gives because each chance can enrich further your adventure in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment