Thursday, June 27, 2019

Turning a Con Ed Internship into a Capstone

Lauren Zaluk is a Verrazano graduate, class of 2019. She earned a degree in Electrical Engineering.


Lauren on the job
Throughout my internship at Con Edison I met a ton of wonderful, knowledgeable coworkers who gave me guidance on all of my projects. They showed me how to apply the technical knowledge from my studies to real life situations out in the field. They also gave me career advice on how to make the most of my three-month internship. The assignments that I worked on expanded my knowledge into different areas of engineering such as gas engineering, which I never thought I would get exposure to. I also obtained a lot of hands on field engineering knowledge that I was not able to learn in the classroom. This included analysis of steam traps and how to splice fiberglass wires together. My internship experience exceeded my expectations because I made many new friends, completed more projects than I expected, and I also obtained a co-op position at the end of it. It also exceeded my expectations because I never thought I would be going out in the field to other Con Edison facilities and construction sites.


What I learned from my assignments can be further developed in the future by applying it during my time as a co-op to other projects that I will be assigned by my section manager. The importance of safety learned during my internship can be further developed and applied to every aspect in my life. It has made me more aware of my surroundings and has helped me recognize potentially hazardous situations or work conditions. I would advise other students who are electrical engineering majors to pursue any internship from any engineering company. Such opportunity will give you engineering experiences that can’t be taught in the class room and is an excellent networking opportunity. Also, if they want to pursue a similar project, I would advise them to also research real life incident that involve improper grounding so they can analyze and determine where mistakes were made and how they can be corrected.

No comments:

Post a Comment