Monday, June 10, 2019

Breaking Through the Glass Ceiling

Moet Askew, Verrazano Class of 2018, earned majors in Business Management and Accounting.


Moet and her mentor Professor Allen
My name is Moet Askew. I am a part of the Verrazano Class of 2018! I am a double major in business management and accounting. In my junior year, I took the HON 301 course with Professor Miller. I know a four-hour class on a Friday isn’t the typical interest for any college student. But, I’m so happy I did it! I truly recommend any Verrazano student to take this in their second semester of junior year. Here’s a secret… you’re basically starting your capstone early and getting all the help you need! In this course, you hear all of your fellow Verrazano members’ ideas spark each time we meet. Me,  having two business majors, I had to decide whether I want to talk about accounting (I’m sure we all know that can get a little boring) or talk about business management. I knew I could find an important issue to discuss within my business management major.

I realized that I will soon be entering the corporate field after graduation. Me, being an African American female, I felt it is important to bring awareness to the marginalization of black females in corporate America. It is as though they have glass ceiling on top of the actual “glass ceiling”.  I knew this was a difficult yet serious issue to discuss but I was up for the challenge. Luckily, I had an amazing mentor to help me through the process, Professor Robert Allen! He was my MGT314 (Small Business Management) professor. I knew he would make my vision come to life. 

The Glass Ceiling Before The Glass Ceiling: How the marginalization of black women in Corporate America presents a barrier to their success became the title of my capstone and I am so proud of myself for getting through this process. Doing this research, gathering data, and bringing awareness to this issue is something I definitely did not see myself doing coming to CSI as a freshman. I am so happy and passionate about this topic and presenting it at the Undergraduate Research Conference. My capstone helped me prepare for my near future and show me how I can overcome the obstacles and barriers that black women face on a daily basis. I am so excited and once again, up for the challenge to pursue my business career!

No comments:

Post a Comment