Monday, June 17, 2019

Samantha Iervolino finds her path in helping teenagers

Samantha Iervolino is a Verrazano graduate, Class of 2019. She earned an RN and BS in Nursing. 


Throughout my four years at the College of Staten Island and the Verrazano Honors Program, I grew a lot as a person and I challenged myself in many ways I never thought were possible.  Completing the Nursing Program was my biggest challenge and it was there that I was exposed to many different areas of healthcare.  I always felt drawn to obstetrics and gynecology, therefore I began to look for a job in the field.  In September of 2017, I began working in a local OB/GYN office and it was there that I saw my first adolescent pregnancy first hand.  The patient, a 15-year-old, was 24 weeks pregnant and came to the office for her first prenatal visit. She claimed she had just found out she was pregnant.  When I looked at her I saw she was scared and did not know what she could do at this point. Ultimately, she decided to give the baby up for adoption, but I know this is a decision that she will live with for the rest of her life.  It was then that I decided that this was the field for me and that I specifically wanted to target the adolescent population to promote health and decrease risky reproductive behaviors.

Sam at her pinning ceremony!
My research not only discusses adolescent pregnancy, but how we can empower adolescents to seek preventative care.  It also discusses how education plays a vital role in decreasing not only the adolescent pregnancy rate, but also the rate of sexually transmitted disease (STD) and sexually transmitted infection rates (STI).  After conducting the research, I created a pamphlet that offers adolescents answers to their many questions and also grants them resources that they need to help guide them through their new-found curiosity in sexuality.  The research conducted will decrease the risky reproductive behaviors that adolescents often engage in.  

I feel very fortunate to have been in the Verrazano Honors Program because it granted me an opportunity to conduct this type of research.  In my career as a Registered Nurse, I will continue this research and I vow to educate as many adolescents as I possibly can.  In the future, I would like to go on to become a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner (WHNP).  As a WHNP, I plan on having a clinic that specifically treats adolescents.  I am forever grateful to have been a part of the Verrazano Honors Program as it granted me a wonderful advisor, Cheryl, who has guided me through many struggles and always offered up motivation when needed, a lovely secretary, Cynthia, who always made sure I was completely prepared and always had everything I needed, friendships that will last a lifetime, and knowledge that will be ever growing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment