Thursday, April 18, 2019

Research (and Yogurt!) have Unexpected Benefits



Nicole Dushkin, Class of 2018, earned a BS with a major in Biology, with a Health Science concentration


When I first started the College of Staten Island, and became a member of the Verrazano school, I had no idea where the exciting journey would take me. The one thing I never believed I would be able to accomplish is being successful in the sciences, especially in laboratory research. Fast forward four years, and here I am completing my Bachelors in Biology and am an active member doing research in a Molecular Biology Laboratory. Aspiring to become a physician one day, being a member in this research strongly influences the impact I hope to have on the community one day. Research in any lab, as well as working with patients, requires a great amount of patience. Sometimes, things do not go as planned, or the end results are the complete opposite of what was originally expected. Starting the pre-medical track seemed like a long, and excruciating process, but through the help of the biology department, getting involved never seemed so easy. I am so thankful for the opportunity that Dr. Shen gave me by allowing me to be part of his lab. Little did I know, that I would gain such a strong passion for working in the lab and conducting this research. 
Nicole in the lab

Our goal was to test two strains of bacteria that are commonly found as starter cultures in yogurt, Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus, and measuring the way they are absorbed. This is beneficial because the proposed thought was that small amounts of alcohol, combined with probiotics, can have very positive health benefits. During the fermentation process of producing yogurt from the starter cultures, ethanol is formed. We would like to see how the strains of yogurt will survive in different environments. When ingesting yogurt, there is a pathway that allows the yogurt to be broken down. Since absorption goes through the stomach and the small intestine, and both environments are in different pH levels, we are testing the growth of bacteria at pH levels of both places. We made specific media, that allows the specific bacteria to grow in, and then altered the pH to mimic the stomach and small intestine. This research is ongoing, and although we did obtain results for the growth of the bacteria, we will continue to research how it reacts under different conditions.  
Nicole presenting at the Undergraduate Research Conference

This process involved a lot of patience and repetition. It correlates back to what life as a physician will be like. Physicians don’t always have perfect and exact answers while seeing a patient. They have to perform several tests, over a period of time and sometimes their results are the opposite of what they would expect. Conducting this research provided me with a sense of passion to continue with the experiment regardless of the circumstances. By pursuing this part of my education, I learned about myself and how passionate I am about this subject.  After graduation, I plan to continue this research and gain even more knowledge through the tests we will perform. As I prepare to hopefully attend Medical School, research in Dr.Shen’s lab has provided me with a great foundation of what my future will hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment