Thursday, April 25, 2019

I Made a Home: CUNY Service Corps--Puerto Rico

Jacqueline Torralba, Verrazano Honors Class of 2021, is pursuing a Biology degree en route to medical school. She described her experience in CUNY Service Corps - Puerto Rico.



*BEEP BEEP* as my alarm clock continues to ring at six o’clock in the morning.  My eyes open, my body rises, and I begin to get dressed work shirt, check, pants, check, work boots, check.  Eleven months after Hurricane Maria hits Puerto Rico, and I am finally standing on Puerto Rican land.  A look in the mirror and off I go.  My heart begins to race at a pace faster than normal, one where I am both thrilled and afraid.  I am thrilled to finally take action, to get to work, to lift a tool.  I am however, afraid, for what my eyes are about to witness. During the drives to the worksite I always sit by the window.  Even though majority of the drives are through the same route, I constantly take in all the beauty that I possibly can.  I’m able to ignore  the view of the wrecked homes and the garbage on the streets because at the end, it’s all masked by something truly beautiful.  There is something about the people's smiles that always get to me.  Through the trauma and fight, people are still able to put on a smile.  It’s the hope and faith that keeps everyone united: The strength they all have has kept them together.  
Jacqueline and fellow CUNY students in Puerto Rico

The first homeowner I worked with, was Ramon.  He would cook everyday for my team and I. The food was delicious, very delicious.  I never thought that one day I would ever feel guilty for eating a plate of food, but I did.  I felt guilty for eating because Ramon had no home when he cooked for us.  Much less did he have a kitchen.  He had no home for a whole eleven months straight.  Ramon cooked in his neighbors house, everyday I was there.  I felt for Ramon, I felt for Jesus which was another homeowner.  I felt for every single person living in this struggle, I felt for the people of Puerto Rico.  Majority of the work that I performed in Puerto Rico was repairing roofs and mold removal.  I certainly sweated a ton, received a tan and most importantly grew a huge heart.  This experience did not only give the people of Puerto Rico an opportunity of a home, but also gave me an opportunity of becoming a better person.  By simply talking to someone and hearing their story, my question was answered: Why am I here?  Yes, organizations sent money, sent care packages, but what they failed to realize is that people were robbed.  They failed to understand that not everyone was even helped.  I came to understand that there are many locations that are not even on the map.  Therefore how can these people even be helped?  People don’t even know they exist.  From observing different areas of Puerto Rico, I learned that if no one will help these people, its okay, because these people will help each other — something that I fail to see in New York.  The people of Puerto Rico united, and still remain together for the well being of each other.  These people would greet everyone who would walk by, they would smile, they would acknowledge the presence of someone else, myself included.  A smile can and will change someone's day.  Within a smile comes a thousand words.  These people worked together.  Instead of causing another battle, they choose to unite.  Neighbors treated each other as neighbors.  They are friendly, they share, and they all smile.  Their smile is what I miss about Puerto Rico.  As I reflect on these two weeks, to where people live in conditions no one should ever live in, I vow to not complain again.  How can I complain when I have a roof over my head?  I do not live in fear, I sleep in the comfort of my own home. Knowing that I was able to fix a total of four homes, I did not just fix a roof, stop a leak, or remove mold, I made a home.  A home to which someone can go to everyday.  A place where they can feel comfort just as anyone else can.  I will forever be grateful for this experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment