Thursday, April 11, 2019

Breaking the Pain: Implementing a “No-Lift Policy”

Kasey Reems, Verrazano Class of 2018, completed a degree in Nursing



I graduated with my Bachelors of Science in Nursing in May of 2018.  I knew what I wanted to do my Capstone Project on after my first day of nursing clinical.  I left the hospital that day feeling exhausted and in pain because of having to maneuver numerous patients.  Upon further research to this problem I encountered, I decided to do my Capstone on implementing a  “No-Lift Policy” for nurses and all over healthcare providers. 

A “No-Lift Policy” means there is no manually lifting, moving, turning, or positioning a patient.  Instead, using ergonomic and assistive devices to do so.  During my Capstone, I worked with Dr. Griffiths, who helped me immensely!  Dr. Griffiths provided me with a lot of information and recent studies that were done using a “No-Lift Policy”.  I was surprised while I was doing my research.  It turns out, the most common reason for healthcare workers, especially nurses, call out of work is injury due to physical interaction with a patient.  This includes, lifting or moving a patient without any devices.
I used a change model by Rosswurm and Larrabee (1999) to implement my new policy.  This model guides the transition from traditional-driven practice to evidence-based practice.  Following this change model truly made it feel like my new policy can be implemented.  I found really interesting studies performed to determine the effectiveness of a “No-Lift Policy”, which will definitely change the way I handle maneuvering patients as a nurse.  This Capstone was a great learning experience.  It was really nice to work with such an educated mentor who guided me along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment