Monday, February 3, 2020

Summer Research at University of Oxford for Physics Major

Gaia Fabi, Verrazano Class of 2019, completed major in Physics 

Last summer, I was one of the seven European students who were chosen for an Astrophysics research project at the University of Oxford. Although I was a little hesitant at first to spend the summer in yet another academic environment which I had never experienced before, I am really glad decided to work there. As soon as I arrived in Oxford, I immediately loved the place. I felt at home. Since we all shared the same dormitories, I had the chance to meet and get to know my colleagues who would work with me in the Astrophysics Department. Except for one American girl, the others were from Europe and we all felt bonded by our common cultural roots and professional interests and goals. 

When I arrived at the University on my first day of work, I fell in love with the campus. I almost felt like I was part of a Harry Potter film setting! I met my mentor, Prof. Leah Morabito, who introduced me to her colleagues and to the project on Radio Astronomy which I was going to work on during the summer. The project consisted on testing the theory which would unify different types of Active Galactic Nuclei (AGNs) as a single class, predicting that they are not physically different but they appear to be different because we observe them from different viewing angles. AGNs are very interesting objects, since they are believed to be a result of accretion of matter by a supermassive black hole at the center of its host galaxy. 

For my analysis, I looked at the projected linear sizes of a selected sample of radio sources from the Lofar Two-Metre Sky Survey. This survey is provided by the Low Frequency Array (LOFAR), which is a powerful radio telescope in the Netherlands. I found my project fascinating and I was extremely engaged with it. Thanks to this research project, I was able to give my own contribution to a better understanding of the physics behind such powerful object in our universe, that is AGNs. 

Although the working hours were quite demanding – I worked from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Monday to Friday – after work and on weekends I would meet with my fellow interns and we would have a lot of fun going to museums, movie theaters, pubs, and even punting. Furthermore, I had the opportunity to meet the astronomer Jocelyn Bell, the scientist who discovered pulsars and one the pioneers in engaging women in the STEM field. 

I feel that overall this experience has turned out to be a good preview of my future career and it has given me the chance to appreciate working in Europe. Through my project, I have learned some important research skills such as problem solving and critical thinking. I have also found out some things about myself and the tough skin I will need in order to stay in the area of astrophysics and pursue a PhD in this field. I can firmly state that working at Oxford has been one of the best experiences I have ever had. 




No comments:

Post a Comment