Monday, February 17, 2020

Engineering and Wireless Power Charging

Dakota Paxton, Verrazano Class of 2019, Completed Major in Electrical Engineering 
This capstone project based on Wireless Power Transfer was very challenging and rewarding. Throughout the process of completing this, I re-learned a lot of theories as well as new theories based upon wireless power transfer, and incorporated them into this project in order to obtain a final product. 
I wanted to choose this as my project because as smartphones are advancing, more and more phones are utilizing wireless charging as a standard instead of a special feature. I wanted to understand how energy could be transferred between two points efficiently. Additionally, I wanted to do this project to step outside of my comfort zone in order to grow as an engineer. Since I use wireless charging with my phone, I wanted to see if it was possible to not only understand how it works, but if it’s possible to optimize this process at all. 
When working on this project, there were multiple steps that had to be completed in order to obtain a working device. From understanding the theories, choosing the right values, creating a simulation, testing it, making it in real life, and repeating this cycle over and over, this project taught me to always double check your calculations before moving on to testing a design in real life. I accidentally ordered parts that later found to be useless because I performed one of the calculations incorrectly which set back the project about two weeks!
As the project progressed, I began to feel more comfortable simulating different coils in order to obtain a suitable outcome. However, there was always something in this project that was challenging that never made me feel complacent. All in all, I would definitely say that this project met my expectations. As I continue to work on this, I will try to work on making the LED power up at a longer distance, then move on to a light bulb and try to incorporate more advanced safety features for the user. This project made me understand how a device is actually created and the steps needed to make a working product. 
The Wireless Power Transfer system influenced me to maybe shift my career to focus on power transfer because this topic seems very interesting. Since an LED can get lit up at approximately a foot away, maybe one day in the future it will be possible to walk into a room and have your device start charging immediately!





No comments:

Post a Comment