Monday, September 2, 2024

Afto-Latinx Youth: A review of Literature and Clinical Recommendations

Kelly Calixto, Verrazzano Class of 2024, completed major in Psychology

For my final project, I wanted to choose a topic that I was passionate about. Being a Latina of immigrant parents, I knew the hardships Latinos face from society which made me want to shed light on the Afro-Latinx immigrant youth community. My project was a literature review that focused on how discrimination affects the mental health of Afro-Latinx Immigrant Youth Community.

While researching this topic I learned that this community is not only ignored by society, but also in the psychological world. While looking for articles I saw how not many research studies are done on this specific community. Many research studies focus on either Latinos in general or immigrant Latinos, but rarely focus on the Afro Latinx immigrant youth community and how they are affected.

Another thing I learned was how not only discrimination against their race, ethnicity, and legal status affects them, but how the sense of cultural homelessness made this group feel isolated. Many Afro Latinx immigrants suffer from cultural homelessness because of the sense of not belonging. These individuals go through questioning their belonging to their Latin American culture and African culture, as well as adapting to the United States culture.

In this literature review, I created a research suggestion that would assist in identifying how discrimination plays a significant role on mental health for the Afro Latinx immigrant youth community. I also recommended clinical practices such as cross-cultural training and suggesting research outputs in schools for immigrant youth.

This capstone not only educated me on Afro Latinx immigrant community but encouraged me to learn about my growth as a student. When I first began the Verrazzano Honors program and heard of the capstone, I was intimidated and thought that successfully completing the department’s requirements would be unattainable. I realize now that completing the capstone allows me to recognize my growth.

I would like to thank Professor Roger-Sirens for being an amazing mentor throughout this journey. She inspired me to complete my capstone, and shed light on this community after taking her class in the spring semester of 2023. She  continued to push and motivate me throughout this process.

I now aspire to work in minority communities and be the therapist that individuals can feel comfortable relying on.






No comments:

Post a Comment