Monday, September 23, 2024

Can Art Integration Enhance Student Engagement in the Classroom?

Jaclyn Regina, Verrazzano Class of 2024, completed major in SLS (1-6)

For my research project, I wanted to focus on a topic that I was both passionate and knowledgeable about. As an SLS major with a special interest in art, I thought that researching information on the connection between art integration and student engagement would be interesting. I completed a literature review, analyzing texts that supported the question at hand. With the assistance of my mentor, Professor Cabral, I was able to learn a lot about art integration and its many connections to increased student engagement.

This assignment taught me a lot about both my specific topic and the process of creating an effective capstone. I learned a lot about how to properly research and where to find appropriate sources. Almost every source I used was from the CSI library. The education databases provided me with so much significant information that was very beneficial when researching and writing this essay. I was also able to improve my ability to cite sources and to defend claims. The ability to answer a research question by providing strong peer-reviewed sources is a very important skill to have.

Being able to expand my knowledge on a topic that is important to me has also been very impactful. As a future educator, I want to ensure that my students are supported and have a reason to come to school every single day. With the information I learned through the literature reviewed, I now know so many different aspects of teaching, as they connect to art integration and student engagement.

My essay follows 6 key themes including hands-on learning, social-emotional learning, use of new materials, different art forms, culture, and identity. Each of these themes work together to support how art integration can enhance student engagement in the general education elementary classroom. I was able to learn a lot through this experience and it was exciting to present my findings at the Undergraduate Research conference.




No comments:

Post a Comment