Monday, May 27, 2024

The Impact of Crawling Acquisition on Movements and Waking During Sleep

Sarah Abdel Fatah, Verrazzano Class of 2024, completed major in SLS (1-6) 

Sarah, Lizebet Rodriguez, Dr. Sarah Berger

In 2023, I worked in Dr. Berger’s Child Development lab. I worked in her lab during my last two years of high school, left in my first year of college, and later returned in my third year. I worked on was the same study during those times, when the study was in the beginning stages and still in development, and assisted with the completed version of the study. It was bittersweet to end the work in Dr. Berger’s lab, remembering the development and the people I worked with throughout the years.

During my final year, I learned a lot. I had to watch infants sleep and correctly note the observations. During this time, I also worked in a group to complete a poster presentation for the 2023 Undergraduate Research Conference. I discovered how much goes into data collection and analysis. We spent day and night collecting data, conducting analysis, and writing our lab poster.

In the spring semester, I was under the direct supervision of Dr. Aaron DeMasi while he was finishing his Ph.D. My role was to support and learn. I read many articles and collected data, along with other jobs. During the summer and fall semesters, my role changed, and I stepped up to my new position. I learned to train other lab interns, conduct data analysis, organize lab meetings, and perform other tasks. Most importantly, I learned how to write up an honors thesis and the other projects needed in order to complete the thesis, including analysis, writing, editing, etc.

If I were to continue, I would love to see the application of the study. I would also like to see other trends observed. Because of the short time, I could only do so much; it almost felt like I opened Pandora’s box. I have to close it now, but I would love to see where it leads and how this information can help future parents and psychologists. I want to thank those who worked with me and helped me during this time. Until next time!






No comments:

Post a Comment