Monday, May 6, 2024

A Reflective Journey Through the Lab

Yasmin Bahloul, Verrazzano Class of 2024, completed majors in Biology and Political Science

As I navigated through the initial phases of my junior year, the planning of my capstone hadn't yet crossed my mind. Biology was a recent addition as a second major, and I immersed myself in what some may deem the “boring” introductory classes. It wasn't until I completed a general biology course with Dr. Phillips, my course instructor and future mentor, who invited me to join his lab to conduct research.

By the time I began doing research with Dr. Phillips, I had the chance to complete a few additional courses and thus felt more confident in my grasp of fundamental biology concepts. However, the transition from attending class and taking multiple-choice exams to experiencing the tangible and hands-on nature of the lab was undoubtedly a challenging adjustment. Topics that were explained in lectures and demonstrated in laboratory classes suddenly became very relevant and I was able to apply the information I had previously learned to independently conduct my own experiments.

Dr. Phillips’ lab researches protocadherins, which are a family of cell adhesion molecules that mediate adhesion between the same type of molecules and are primarily expressed in the nervous system. Understanding the significance behind these proteins and the intricacies of their trafficking and expression within the cell proved to be a gradual process. Reading scholarly sources and previously published papers occasionally added to my confusion on the topic. In these moments, the value of experimentation and practice became evident, helping to bridge the gap between the theoretical concepts discussed in literature and their concrete portrayal in the lab.

Something that was very important for me was being in a supportive lab. Dr. Phillips would always take his time to thoroughly explain and guide me through the basic cellular biology methods I’d be using. Whether it was training me on how to keep a cell line growing or showing me how to run a western blot, these moments helped me get more acquainted with the lab. Consequently, I felt more confident with my ability to conduct experiments on my own and address possible challenges that may arise. Dr. Phillips was also a very supportive mentor, constantly reassuring me that it was okay that my results weren’t coming out the way I had hoped, and that working in the lab meant that it was okay to make mistakes and constantly repeat the same experiment over and over again until you get it right (And that’s exactly what I did! I can’t count how many western blots I’ve run over the past few months before getting significant results).

The few times that I did manage to do things right and get the results I was hoping for felt extremely rewarding and made me realize how attached to my projects I had gotten. As I approached the end of my project, it was very satisfying to see how each of my standalone experiments suddenly came together to form a cohesive narrative that related back to the lab’s hypotheses and research goals. As I reflect on this past year spent in the lab, I can undoubtedly say that I’ve grown a fond appreciation for research and the scientific method. I’m eager to continue doing research with Dr. Phillips and the rest of the team after graduating and I’m excited about the further possibilities this experience may bring!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment