Monday, May 20, 2024

Supermarket Accessibility in Staten Island, NY by Zip Codes

Keair E. Brown, Verrazzano Class of 2024, completed major in Sociology/Anthropology

I was afraid of the thought of writing, researching and collaborating with faculty on my capstone project, but when I was able to take a topic that was personal to me and dig deeper into the research and data, the feeling of being scared quickly changed to exhilarating.

This research isn't just about numbers and policies; it's about understanding the daily challenges faced by myself and neighbors to finding ways to make our community healthier and more sustainable. In doing so, I was able to apply the suggestions from Professor Grace Cho, from the Sociology/Anthropology department, for the research portion of the project to construct a cohesive paper that had information to back up my topic.

Nora Santiago, who is the Sustainability Program Manager in the Office of Sustainable Community Planning at CSI, guided me with the GIS (Geographic Information System) visual portion for the presentation, and introduced me to a new skill that I can use later in my career endeavors.

The photo of me is how I mostly conducted my research, in front of my laptop. I reviewed several NYC websites, had multiple zoom meetings with my two faculty advisors and read a book to help me put together a research project that I am happy to share.

Residing in the 10303-zip code area of Staten Island since 2007, the lack of access to supermarket options has been evident. Currently, there are only three supermarkets, two of which are considered specialty grocery stores. One is Mediterranean and the other is an Asian food market.

This study aimed to investigate the qualitative and quantitative aspects of access to supermarkets for residents within a two-mile radius of the 10303-zip codes. Factors such as mode of transportation, travel time, cost comparisons, ease of access, and the number of supermarkets within both 10303 and neighboring 10314-zip codes were analyzed. The 10303-zip code encompasses the Arlington and Mariners Harbor sections of the North Shore of Staten Island.

This research was made possible with the invaluable guidance of two faculty advisors: Professor Grace Cho for research and Nora Santiago for Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment