Monday, October 23, 2023

Gaining Confidence to Present Through Research

Jediah Noel, Verrazzano class of 2023, completed major in Electrical Engineering

When I first started college, I dreaded the thought of having to complete a capstone and present it at a conference. I never thought of myself as a good speaker, and I couldn’t envision myself accomplishing the task at that time. I ended up putting it at the back of my mind and eventually forgot about it until my senior year. However, upon completing the project (Solving Excessive Power Consumption in Fansand seeing the amount of effort I put into it and the support from my peers and mentors, I was actually excited to present it at the conference. I loved the friendly environment and the opportunity to share and explain my research to the college community.

I’m grateful for the extensions given to my partner and me for submitting our capstone and poster. With the extra time given, I was able relieve stress and really make the poster and capstone the best they could be.

I’m thankful for both Professor Jessica Jiang and Professor Dwight Richards. Professor Dwight really helped give us direction with the research in our first semester. Professor Jessica Jiang helped in our second semester with the creation of our poster, and the finalizing of our project. Working with them both was a blessing and I'm happy they were my mentors.

I’m glad Dr. Neo Antoniades allowed my brother to be my partner. Normally, brothers aren’t typically allowed to work on the same project. However, since he knew us both from a previous semester and how well we worked together, he approved. Working together with my brother allowed us to learn from each other's research and test components together. We didn’t have to worry about having to meet up as we lived in the same household.

Overall, I’m just thrilled with our results, experience at the conference, and support from Verrazzano. I’m very proud of our efforts and accomplishment. Thank you Verrazzano and the College of Staten Island.





No comments:

Post a Comment