Monday, December 12, 2022

Researching Process of The Harlem Nine and School Integration

 Aurora Haxhari, Verrazzano Class of 2022, completed major in History (7-12) 

Working on this research project was definitely a process that took long hours of preparation before even getting into the work itself. Picking a topic was a process because with history, the options are endless. However, with my passion for education and activism, it was not hard for me to wind up with my decision. Researching the Harlem Nine and school integration in the ‘50s and ‘60s in New York City was really exciting for me. When my faculty mentor Professor John Dixon told me about the Harlem Nine, I did some research on them and was hooked.

This project took many days of reading, reading, and more reading. Since the Harlem Nine was a small group and case, it was pretty difficult to find many primary and even secondary sources. However, with help from Professor Dixon, I was able to find enough sources to help me build my research. Throughout this process, I learned that I could get help from others. I even have a friend in law school who was able to gain access to the actual court case because she had free access to old cases through her school. This was of great help because I was able to read the detailed case which helped me improve my understanding and argument.

I learned that the process of completing research varies for many people. For me, I found it most effective to outline the headings and subheadings of my research and then divide the sources I would use within each section. Then, I worked on one section at a time. In order to avoid feeling overwhelmed, which could happen often, I broke down my work and due dates with Professor Dixon. Knowing that my first draft would be due in early April, I broke down each section of the paper, placing due dates on myself, and working on it over a few weeks.

During the semester, I was balancing student teaching at Port Richmond High School, working at my part-time job every day after student teaching, and being a part of two cheerleading teams (a non-profit team and CSI cheerleading). This was definitely trying at times, but I knew I could get it done. Researching something I was passionate about made it much more exciting and less stressful. I learned that despite being challenging while juggling so much in life, learning outshines that and is worth it all. The beauty in knowledge and education outweighs the troubles.





No comments:

Post a Comment