Monday, July 4, 2022

Researching Infants Developmental Abilities

 Haley Essig, Verrazzano Class of 2022, completed major in Psychology and minor in ASL 

I've always been interested in research as a Psychology major. During my junior year, I worked as a research assistant in the Child Development Lab with Dr. Berger, who supported and guided me throughout my journey. With my interest in psychology and desire to work with children, I thought this would be ideal. We were curious to see if and how an infants' ability to sit affected their ability to focus their attention because they mastered both abilities throughout the second half of their first year.

To accomplish this, we observed multiple 6–8-month old infants as they explored toys, either supported (in a high-chair) or independently (while sitting on the floor). This study was carried out online, with parents using a webcam or phone camera to record their children's focused attention and sitting ability. We instructed the parent to give three toys to the infant for 90 seconds at a time and observe how they explored. 

For the first two semesters, we collected data and coded it for interpretation. During the third semester, I collaborated with graduate students on the manuscript and worked on my capstone project. This project was difficult at times, but I believe the payoff was well worth it. I'd previously studied motor development in my psychology classes but becoming a participant in that study was a whole different experience. I thought it would be a good idea to include these ideas into my capstone project, as I was already drafting the manuscript alongside a fellow graduate student. 

Finding a means to explain the facts and make it understandable to an outside audience was the most challenging aspect of the capstone, and I am grateful for the increased knowledge and experience I gained. My mentors and classmates were supportive and helpful in the process of guiding me through my research and writing my capstone. I had many moments of doubt, worry, and fear about whether I would be able to complete this task. Despite all these difficult emotions, this project is one of the things I am most proud of from my undergraduate years. It piqued my interest and curiosity, taught me perseverance, and helped me gain knowledge in the fields of psychology and motor development.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment