Monday, July 11, 2022

Researching the Effects of Alcohol Use Disorder

Fanny Liao, Verrazzano Class of 2022, completed major in Nursing

My project was titled “The Effects Precipitated by Alcohol Use Disorder”. I worked in conjunction with Professor Schiano from the Nursing Department. From the moment I first contacted her with my mentorship request to finishing the capstone and departmental honors thesis, it was much like a roller coaster ride. There were ups, there were downs, and there were loops taking me back to where I was before. Without a doubt, I am absolutely relieved that I made it to the end successfully. 

I learned so many things during this journey. I learned that I should not procrastinate and with the correct time management, I could balance the multiple aspects of the capstone and departmental honors projects (yes, plural) with my classes, my job searching, and my personal life. I learned that I am capable of so much if I put in the time and dedication. I managed to create a thesis paper, have it reviewed with the Writing Center, create a poster, a presentation powerpoint, a video, and present at both the Undergraduate Research Conference and in an AAS psychiatric nursing class. 

My research on alcohol use disorder and its effects took a great deal of time and I value each morsel of knowledge. Alcohol use disorder has so many effects and if left unaddressed, it will continue to cycle through the lives of the vulnerable. Their affected lives will have effects on the individuals, families, and communities around them.

The goal of my project was to educate nursing students and others about those effects and what they could do to help lessen their impact. The takeaway message that I want people to know is that support for alcoholic individuals and their families is so important if we want to protect the children in their lives who will eventually grow up one day to futures that have been greatly influenced by the traumas they experienced as children. Children are our future and their futures are in our hands.

If I ever continue researching this project, I envision looking more into how culture affects alcohol use disorder and how culture mediates the disorder’s effects. For example, would cultures who use more alcohol be more supportive of those with alcohol use disorder?

This project was a success and I owe many thanks to Professor Barbara Schiano for her patience and support, and to the CSI Writing Center for their wonderful advice.  






No comments:

Post a Comment