Monday, March 21, 2022

Lessons Learned in the Research Lab

 Anastasia Maximenko, Verrazzano Class of 2022, completed major in Biology Neuroscience 

I first studied general chemistry with Dr. Lyons during my freshman year, where I was intrigued by his research and his talent to teach and engage the students. As much as I was interested in Dr. Lyons’s research, I was very shy and did not find it in myself to ask if I could be a part of his team. Fortunately, I was introduced into the lab by my friend, and I began working in Dr. Lyons lab in March 2019.

Our team’s goals were to study singlet oxygen and test a variety of solutions, as well as the conditions of the photosensitizers being used in our experiments. I was fortunate to be a part of the team while in person. Even with the onset of the pandemic, I continued my research with Dr. Lyons, mainly focusing on doing literature review on singlet oxygen and photodynamic therapy. I loved this experience so much, and it was the best experience I had in college!

When I worked in the laboratory with Dr. Alan Lyons, I constantly found myself working to be innovative in my research approach. One example was planning the most efficient way to concentrate light into our samples to obtain the highest singlet oxygen yield. Another example was working through differentiating the variables that may have contributed to our results. I found myself to be a leader in these experiences because my research team depended on my diligence to find an efficient method that could further help us develop a strategy to maximize total singlet oxygen yield.

During COVID-19, I realized I could adapt and continue to enrich my knowledge in my research area. I conducted a literature review on the Applications of Singlet Oxygen in Photodynamic Therapy on burn and wound healing. I persevered to present my findings to my college research community and I am very happy that I was able to share my knowledge.

Through these experiences, I found it amazing that you could find dozens of papers on almost any topic of interest in medicine. I aspire to become a physician who enhances the field of medicine by utilizing my clinical acumen and leadership skills. The skills I have acquired and continue to develop will allow me to fulfill my ultimate goal. I believe what I learned is groundbreaking but I am not done yet. I strongly believe that as a physician I can incorporate evidence-based medicine in my everyday practice. I hope to one-day lead a team of well-versed physicians who will utilize their skill set to give back to society.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment