Monday, March 8, 2021

Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Changes Forepaw Preference in Mice

 Lilian Al-keswani, Verrazzano Class of 2020, completed major in CUNY Baccalaureate BA

For 10 hours a week, I worked as a research assistant in Dr. Zaghloul Ahmed’s Physical Therapy lab at the College of Staten Island. My work focused on manipulation of handedness in mice and aimed to examine the effects of applying transcranial direct current stimulation to the contralateral hemisphere of the dominant paw. My duty was to determine paw preference by using the “cylinder test” and to assist the conduction of surgery to attach a stabilizing hub to the left hemisphere of the motor cortex. This experience helped me to develop ethical responsibilities, and gave me deeper insight as it could open doors for new stroke rehabilitation treatments and neurological dysfunction that result from a stroke.

 

Through scientific inquiries of living systems, I presented my research at the CUNY College of Staten Island’s Undergraduate Research Conference, and presented my project titled “Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Changes Forepaw Preference in Mice”, which allowed me to improve my public speaking skills.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment