Monday, March 15, 2021

How My College Experience Influenced my Life

 Stephen Koffer, Verrazzano Class of 2020, completed major in Electrical Engineering 

The past four years of my life have been incredibly special and crucial to who I am today. Initially, college can be a scary experience. You start out in a new environment with new people and you have to adjust to college courses, which are very different from high school classes.

After your first year, you start to feel comfortable in college. By the end of your sophomore and the beginning of your junior year, you will be taking your major classes, and will have made friends with your classmates, who will be with you for the next two years. You will study with them, maybe have lunch on campus with them, and will talk to them outside of school. These people will possibly even become your best friends. The most important thing is that you genuinely want to help each other and help each other grow.

While studying or doing work you may disagree, but these are not malicious disagreements. They are meant to allow everyone to speak their mind without fear so they can learn to formulate their thoughts better about the topics at hand. You will also discuss future ideas and common interests.

Third and fourth year Verrazzano students work on a capstone project. As an engineering major, I worked on my senior design project with a team, and my capstone would branch off this project. My team was able to challenge me intellectually, which made me grow academically. Doing the work and research for both the capstone and senior design project taught me so much more about the field of engineering.

 I felt it was necessary to highlight the role that the people I met at school and became friends with had in making me the person I am today. The person who entered CSI in Fall 2016 is very different from the person who graduated in Spring 2020. I owe a lot of credit to my college journey in shaping me socially and academically as a person and student. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment