Monday, February 15, 2021

SLS Major Reflects on Ancient Cultures Course

 Christine Russo, Verrazzano Class of 2022, completing major in SLS Early Education
Taking the first of the SLS humanities courses (301), I learned a great deal about life in the ancient world. There are so many ways that our society has evolved since the time of the Ancient Greeks and if we look closely into how those people existed, we can appreciate all of the progress that has been made. For example, the social structure in the ancient world did not allow women any autonomy. A woman’s only role was to marry young and care for their children. Their entire identities were shaped by the contributions that their husbands made, and they possessed no freedom to create something of themselves. This was apparent through ancient texts like The Odyssey, where the male protagonist was praised for his heroism after fighting in the Trojan War, while his wife was left alone to care for their children. The wife received no credit for the great sacrifice that she made in leaving behind her own identity so that she could honor her husband. While this was a sign of the times, now is a much different time. Now is a time where women are also great philosophers, thinkers, doctors, and educators of our world.

In the year 2020, females in American society have fought to be recognized as equals.  As I take this time to reflect on who I am as a person, I realize I cannot imagine a life where I could not be independent. For instance, I cannot imagine not receiving one of the greatest gifts I have ever been granted in my life, my education. My education allows me to be aware of the world that surrounds me, and it challenges me with every question that I ask. My education gives me a purpose and a goal outside of one day getting married, something that was not always possible. My education is a part of my identity. I hope that as a society we can learn to be grateful and never forget the great sacrifices that women in the past have made so that we could live our lives as we do today. I am thankful to be here, and to learn and continue to grow. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment