Monday, February 8, 2021

Chemistry Research Perseveres During Pandemic

 Fatu Amara, Verrazzano Class of 2020, completed major in Chemistry with minors in Political Science and Psychology

Completing my undergraduate research thesis in Dr. Poget’s Biochemistry lab was one of the highlights of my undergraduate academic journey. As a chemistry major, labs were co-requisites to most of my major classes. However, completing an independent research project gave me an entirely different research perspective, and taught me valuable lessons about mentorship and teamwork. In addition to the technical skills I developed from conducting protein purification experiments, I also developed personal skills such as critical thinking and resilience when troubleshooting research strategies. 

My independent study centered around investigating the interaction between Tx7335, a toxin from the eastern green mamba snake, and the KcsA potassium ion channel. KcsA potassium channel is a pH-gated prokaryotic potassium channel from the soil bacterium Streptomyces lividan. Learning about potassium channel is important because of their role in biological processes such as cardiac and neurological regulations. Because many animal toxins target potassium channels, understanding the interaction between toxins and channels can lead to insight in understanding their role in different pathways and addressing their malfunctions.

Over the fall semester, I conducted multiple biochemistry experiments to purify the KcsA potassium channel. This was a great opportunity to build experience and develop the independence of overseeing the progress of a research project. Upon purification of the ion channel, the experimental plan was to conduct a Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) analysis of the ion channel and toxin. SPR is an optical technique utilized for detecting molecular interactions between a ligand and an analyte. This step could not be completed due to the Coronavirus and lab closures. Because my research relied heavily on being in the lab, this closure greatly impacted my ability to complete my capstone project. 

With the supervision of my research mentor Professor Poget, we were able to develop a concrete plan that would support my work. Over the course of the spring semester, I worked on developing an SPR research proposal that would provide insights into the experimental approach when conducting SPR in the lab. The proposal was developed by analyzing several published journals about membrane protein and toxin interaction. I have learned so much academically and personally, and I could never have anticipated this opportunity at the start of my freshman year at CSI. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment