Monday, November 2, 2020

Social Media's Influence on Vaccinating

 Jillian La Fata, Verrazzano Class of 2019, completed major in Nursing

 

As a graduating a senior in the Nursing program, I learned a lot by researching literature reviews for my capstone project. My topic was, “Is social media anti-vax propaganda causing a drop in the rates of MMR vaccines being given?” I chose this topic because of my interest in pursuing a pediatric nursing career and the controversy of whether or not to vaccinate. I discovered the impact of social media and its influence on parents. My research consisted of literature reviews on the anti-vax propaganda.

            If I were to further this research, I would visit pediatric offices and give out surveys to the parents in waiting rooms who would be willing to voluntarily participate. The survey would consist of a Likert scale, asking parents to rate whether they agreed or disagreed with direct quotes from anti-vaccination websites. Their opinions would be anonymous; however, there would also be questions regarding the number of children the parent has, whether their minds have been changed based on anti-vax propaganda and a few other questions. This would help me identify whether or not there is any correlation among the answers to the questions and the survey. I am glad that I had the chance to do this research on this topic because I learned a lot and I think it will benefit me in my career as a registered nurse. 


No comments:

Post a Comment