Monday, November 16, 2020

Research in the Humanities and Sciences

 

Md Zahirul Islam, Verrazzano Class of 2020, completed major in Psychology with a minor in Biology

Was I fortunate to have taken English 151 with Dr. Martorana? As I reminisce over my undergraduate years, I realize that my English Professor sparked a genuine interest in research that has propelled me forward in my educational, personal, and career goals. 

The theme of our class was to use a multi-modal approach to show case the various social inequities that people of disadvantaged backgrounds in society faced. As a Muslim immigrant of color, I was very curious to learn how the media portrayed my faith and my people. This research project was a huge eye-opening undertaking, and was the first time I ever created my own website, along with presenting my research at the Dean’s Symposium. This class was very near and dear to me because it forced me to be a creative person. We also held a class on twitter for one day! Most importantly, it altered my brain chemistry in a way that made me think in a critical manner.

            As an aspiring physician, critical thinking is an essential element for any good doctor to have. I was further inspired to find other research opportunities in the life sciences where I was able to enhance my curiosity and hone my critical thinking skills. I had the great fortune to be a part of Dr. El-Idrissi’s lab for two years. Research in both the humanities and neuroscience/metabolism proved to me that research could take form in various shapes, forms  and methods. In the neuroscience lab and under the mentorship of Dr. El-Idrissi, I had the opportunity to learn a great deal regarding metabolism of taurine and its biochemical effects on living organisms such as mice (normal mice and various types with genetic disorders i.e. Knockout vs wildtype).

An aspect in particular that I find spectacular and beautiful is that in research you form a  hypothesis and often times you do not know where that hypothesis will lead. Some of the greatest discoveries in human history have been through this path. I also learned that one should firmly believe in their work no matter what others say or think. There are numerous examples of great breakthroughs in science when others thought that someone’s work was absurd. Research takes lots of patience since you often fail to obtain results. Dr. Friedman from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine described research precisely and beautifully when she said, “research is taking 3 steps forward and then taking 2.5 steps back.” My diverse research experiences in the lab has helped me become a better scientist, student, and teammate. It has also helped develop my public speaking skills along with building meaningful relationships. For the many priceless gifts and values my professors and mentors have given me, I am eternally grateful. 

                       

 

No comments:

Post a Comment