Monday, July 20, 2020

Traditional vs. Digital Marketing

Gabriella Sciannantena, Verrazzano Class of 2020, Completed a Major in Business Marketing 


Senioritis is very real. Writing research papers is no easy task to begin with, but writing one in your senior year is a completely different struggle. Not only was I in my senior year but I was working part time, having an internship, and was vice president of the Marketing Association. To say I was overwhelmed was an understatement, but I was determined to do this paper.
Interning definitely had an influence on choosing my topic to research. Traditional vs. Digital Marketing is an important question to ask when talking about your target market, and while choosing a topic was easy, writing the paper was not. Just the thought of sitting down and writing the title, I would come up with ten (not very good) excuses. Once I got started though, I could not stop.
One of the most important questions a company has to ask themselves is, “What’s the best way to reach my target audience?” Before the company can answer, there are many steps that need taken. This helped me plan my outline, and once that was complete, the paper started flowing. Since Digital Marketing is a relevantly new topic, there was an abundance of research to peruse. I thought, “Great I have a lot of information to help me!” Then I started to read and thought I have loads of information. I fell down a rabbit hole of research.
Going into this paper, I thought I knew the outcome. Everything is digital now, why not marketing? After pages and pages of research, I was proven wrong. Despite advances in Digital Marketing, it does not mean that traditional advertising is dead. Many companies still prefer to use traditional advertising, such as TV commercials, billboards, newspaper, etc. because it is what they are familiar with and feels safe. On the down side, if these organizations do not adjust to the up-to-date trends they could be missing more effective media channels and end up losing their target market. The most effective way to reach a target audience is to integrate both traditional and digital advertising.
Working on my capstone was a slow and steady process, but one that only bettered myself. This research expanded not only knowledge in my major, but also my ability to multi-task and challenge myself, and I am thankful to have participated in this experience. It is one I am definitely going to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment