Monday, July 13, 2020

Parallax Scrolling and the User Experience

Nicholas Borghese, Verrazzano Class of 2020, Completed Major in Computer Science and Mathematics, with a Minor in American Sign Language 


Throughout my computer science career, I have always had an interest in front-end design, which consists of what the user sees, such as color schemes, layout, sizing of elements, and flow, rather than the functionality of a website.
When deciding on a research topic, I figured it would be most beneficial for me to study something that would relate to the front-end, as it would help me learn more niche topics within front-end design. After talking with the campus expert on web design, Professor Zelikovtiz, she gave me the task of finding something that there was little knowledge about, but could have a possible impact on future web design. Parallax scrolling fit in perfectly, as it was something I heard of but did not know a lot about it, nor had I ever used it in any of my websites.
Parallax scrolling is a web design technique that allows a static 2D website to have a 3D feeling by having text, images, and other elements on the page to move at different speeds compared to each other. Web designers use this to try to keep consumers on a website longer or have them visit more frequently, and try to create a more pleasurable user experience. My research tackled the issue of whether it was beneficial for web designers to use it due to an increase in positive user experience, or if it was simply unnecessary work for the web designer.
To continue this research, I would like to get more user responses so that I could have a larger population of pulled data. This would allow for a more accurate analysis with regard to whether one website was preferred over the other. Another aspect of my research that I would want to expand on would be to have all participants take the survey on one computer so that there is no difference in speeds, or displays from one user to another.
At the end of the day, I am proud of the research I was able to conduct and the results I got from it, and plan to continue the research in the future in order to find a more accurate response.

No comments:

Post a Comment