Monday, December 2, 2019

Socio-Economic Status and High Risk Infancy


Joan Mbamaonyeukwu, Class of 2018, Majored in Biology with a Minor in Psychology
 

My name is Joan Mbamaonyeukwu, an aspiring Medical Doctor and a Public Health Advocate. In 2018, I came up with my research topic and I was able to work on the project at the NYS Institute for Basic Research in Developmental Disabilities (IBR) under the supervision of my faculty mentor Dr. Comfort Asanbe, and my laboratory mentor Dr. Elizabeth Lennon.

Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. once said, “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” As a science student, I have had that burning desire to learn new things and to enhance my intellectual thinking. Being a doctor requires an abundance of qualities, such as understanding, patience, commitment, intellectual thinking, multitasking and much more.

My experience working on my Capstone Project at IBR enabled me to continue to develop great qualities making me a better student, and improved many of my skills. My research was in understanding the relationship between socio-demographic indicators and delayed social communication skills on high-medical-risk infants. Upon my research, I learned that living in low SES (socio-economic status) neighborhoods like the North Shore in Staten Island increases the likelihood of high-medical-risk infants having delays in social communication skills.

Thinking as an aspiring public health advocate, I envision the result of the project changing the medical lives on individuals in our community. It is imperative for our community to increase access to maternal healthcare and improve the quality of life for children from low SES families. Referrals for early intervention services for pre-term infants who are living in neighborhoods with increased socio-demographic risk factors should be put under great consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment