Monday, December 23, 2019

Physician of the future, Brandon Fridman Conducts Biochemistry Research


Brandon Fridman, Verrazano Class of 2019, earned a Bachelor of Science in Biology with concentrations in Health Science and Neuroscience, with minors in Biochemistry, Chemistryand Philosophy. He begins medical school in the fall 2019.

In Dr.Fred Naider’s research lab, I investigated truncated variants of the N-terminal domain of CCR5, a chemokine co-receptor located on white blood cells that is essential for HIV-1 binding. I mastered laboratory techniques, including solid phase peptide synthesis, peptide cleavage, de-protection, HPLC, mass spectrometry, UV-spectroscopy, and circular dichroism spectroscopy. I collaborated with the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel and contributed to their NMR kinetics studies. I completed my capstone  discussing de-protection kinetics in the study of HIV. 
Brandon presenting his work at CSI's Undergraduate Research Conference

When I first started my research, it was difficult to grasp the high level concepts and sheer volume of information that was required to work in a biochemical lab. However, I learned over time how to develop my own method of learning and how to dedicate large amounts of time and effort towards mastering my field of interest along with what was required of me to work in a lab. 

While reading dozens of journal articles about the subject, I was also learning how to use equipment in my lab, understand and conduct chemical reactions, and manage large data storages of information, which would eventually be used to finalize my research. I learned to organize information and present it in a concise and meaningful way that would show my understanding of the science and work behind my experiments. 

Over time, I learned to be more confident in my abilities and became the senior undergrad researcher in my lab, providing guidance for new students who were seeking research experience. I proudly presented my findings at the Undergraduate Research Conference at CSI, and was happy with the successful results of my research despite many setbacks. 

Overall, the research I conducted during my undergraduate career has helped transform me into a scientist with the ability to critically think and make executive decisions based on a wealth of knowledge and experience. What I have learned during my time in the research lab will undoubtedly contribute to my success in medical school and as an aspiring doctor.  

1 comment: