Monday, May 13, 2019

The Effectiveness of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Interpersonal Therapy on Treating Depression in Children

Martina Zakir, Verrazano Honors Class of 2018, majored in Psychology and minored in biology

From the beginning of my four-year undergraduate at the College of Staten Island, I knew I wanted to study the psychology of the mind in particularly, children. I wanted to primarily focus on children because I wanted to grasp as much knowledge to take along with me when studying medicine. For my capstone thesis, I chose to do in depth research about the prevalence rate of depression among children and adolescents and the effectiveness of two forms of psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and interpersonal therapy (IPT). Over the course of this semester, I learned that the lifetime prevalence rate of depression ranges from 0.2-12.9 percent, which is alarmingly high among children and adolescents. Also, both CBT and IPT psychotherapy treatments are effective in their own unique way with a different targeted goal.


Martina (center) presents at the Undergraduate Research Conference
This capstone experience was challenging, yet rewarding. I was able to work alone with Dr. Lawrence, whom supported and guided me along the way during this entire journey. He allowed me to understand and study children from the eyes of a scholar, which has helped me grasp this study in a way I never have before. This project has met my expectations since it was a very detailed study, and targeted most of my curiosities as a Psychology major. This capstone has enriched me with a better understanding for an important modern topic that must not be ignored in our modern world. The two types of therapies I have studied have shown the importance and effectiveness they have on depression in children. I only hope in my future endeavors to be able to further study children so that I am able to become very successful in the medical field.
In the future, this study could be further developed by working hands on with children who have been faced with depression and see hands on how this study comes to life. As well as conducting a study to compare both treatments on children who are depressed. This approach would give this study an entire new meaning and it will help us to broaden our knowledge in the psychology field. Overall, spending the past four years in the Verrazano Program has encouraged me to expand my horizons, as well as using the knowledge I have gained so that I am a perfect candidate for medicine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment