Monday, May 6, 2019

A Chance Class, and the Rest is History



Mtthew Keegan, Verrazano Honors Class of 2018, earned a major in Economics and minor in Business Finance, Business Management, and History


 Whether it’s research, writing, editing, or dealing with faculty advisors, the capstone thesis can feel like an insurmountable obstacle for even the best of Verrazano students. While I’ve often been told to start early in order to prevent a catastrophe, many of my well-intended efforts were still thwarted by unforeseen circumstances. Despite taking seminar classes and writing about many interesting topics, I struggled to find inspiration. By the time senior year came, I thought all was lost before it began.
Matt presenting at a the SIEDC Conference
Nevertheless, almost by chance, the pieces began to fall in line. In order to complete my final general education classes, I enrolled in a Japanese history class. As someone who is fairly versed in world history, I thought the class would be a very shallow view of events. However, I was greatly mistaken and learned many things about the politics and economics of Japan that I never knew. Having reignited my passion for history, I decided to complete a history minor and took the Chinese history course with the same instructor, Professor Lufrano, the following year.
Too busy taking classes and going through the motions of college, I never stopped to fully contemplate my capstone until taking the Hon 301 seminar class with professor Miller. There I began researching a mock capstone to gather insight on what I might want to write about the following year. I spent time looking at economic boom and bust periods in the United States and Japan, ultimately being drawn into the field of economic history.
Although I found a field of interest, I had no one to work under. Most of my professors were either adjuncts or only focused on data analysis. Again, as luck would have it, my prayers were answered. What I first thought would be awful signing up for a Saturday class turned out extremely beneficial. Not only was Professor Wegge a great teacher, she explained to the class how she was an economic historian and explained some of her research. After summer break, I asked if she would be willing to work with me and agreed. Although I had originally planned to compare the history of the European with the Chinese economies, I ultimately decided to compare Chinese to Japanese economic history, with the West as an outside force.
As I began my research, I continually stayed in touch with Professor Wegge and Professor Lufrano, the East Asian history professor. Taking their classes for my major and minor, while simultaneously working on the capstone, allowed me to get quicker feedback on my ideas and reading materials. Overall, I would not call my thesis revolutionary, but I believe it to be a little outside the box and approachable by many disciplines.
As spring approached, deadlines grew closer. Although my paper was finished, the busy schedule of Professor Wegge as the department chair forced delays in my editing process. In the meantime, I was persuaded by the School of Business to present at the Staten Island Economic Development Council meeting. The event forced me to finish my poster early, but allowed me the opportunity to present for a distinguished panel of judges.
Despite numerous delays, deadline extensions, and unforeseen circumstances, I can say unequivocally that this journey was an eye opener and has helped influence my consideration for graduate school. This project taught me how official research is conducted and about the exciting areas of study for both history and economics. Overall, the best advice I can give for someone just starting the capstone, or venturing through the college experience, is to never fear the unknown because it might just be the most rewarding thing you’ve ever done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment