Monday, July 8, 2024

Intersectionality: A Study on Neurodiversity and Queer Identities

Alexandra Lorenzo, Verrazzano Class of 2024, completed major in SLS (1-6) and minor in History 

Throughout the process of completing my research paper, I worked to broaden my understanding of LGBTQ+ identities and its correlation with neurodiversity, as well as gain a deeper understanding of both issues. This included understanding the impacts this intersection has for individuals identifying with multiple marginalized groups, vocalizing their struggles, and identifying ways we can accommodate their needs societally. I listened closely to queer neurodivergent individuals’ personal experiences, both good and bad, and their needs for changes they proposed to healthcare, education, and supportive communities.

I have learned from first-hand accounts the reasons for neurodivergent folks commonly rejecting concepts of gender, and why many often identify with fluid identities under the LGBTQ+ umbrella. Additionally, from my studies it has been revealed that many seek solace and comfort in these communities and identities, since both relate by being victims of alienation, isolation, and marginalization.

While correlation does not imply causation, studying this intersection of marginalized identities has indeed granted me the chance to better understand the human psyche, and ensures my becoming an educator who is well-equipped with creating a classroom environment where all students feel safe to embrace their differences.

If I were to continue this research, I would like to pursue my own personal case study, or conduct my own interviews with willing LGBTQ+ and neurodivergent participants. It is challenging to find scholarly articles that address every question you have on a topic. Yet if I were to do my own studies, I would benefit from working hands-on to gain my own understanding of this intersection from my own research and questioning. 

Developing this project further, I would gain a better understanding of the topic, allowing me to be the one finding my own solutions to issues identified by my own participants. This would ensure that in my studies, I become an active participant rather than a bystander, and can work to create a more accepting future for all individuals regardless of their differences.





No comments:

Post a Comment