Ruth Anson, Verrazzano Class of 2026, completed a major in Medical Laboratory Science and minors in Biology, Chemistry, and Biochemistry
My project
focused on understanding how different areas of the clinical laboratory work
together to diagnose and monitor renal (kidney) disease. The kidneys play a
vital role in filtering waste from the blood, maintaining fluid and electrolyte
balance, and supporting overall body function. When kidney function declines,
these processes are disrupted, often before noticeable symptoms appear. My
research aimed to highlight how Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) contributes to
detecting these changes early and tracking disease progression.
To explore
this, I examined how major laboratory departments each provide important
information. In the chemistry lab, tests such as creatinine, blood urea
nitrogen (BUN), and estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) help determine
how well the kidneys are filtering waste. Urinalysis offers direct evidence of
kidney damage through findings like protein, red blood cells, and casts.
Hematology identifies complications such as anemia, which occurs when damaged
kidneys produce less erythropoietin. Microbiology detects infections, such as
urinary tract infections or bacteria in kidney stones, that can affect kidney
health. Immunology contributes by identifying infections like hepatitis that
may lead to renal complications. Blood bank supports patient care by ensuring
safe transfusions in cases of severe anemia.
A key part of my project was incorporating real case studies from my clinical rotations. These experiences allowed me to see how laboratory results directly connect to patient diagnosis and management. Overall, my research showed that MLS is essential not only in diagnosing renal disease but also in monitoring its progression and guiding clinical decisions.
I identified
this research area during my clinical rotations, where I saw how frequently
renal-related lab tests were ordered and how critical they were in patient
care. I was motivated by the realization that although patients may not
interact with laboratory professionals directly, the results we produce play a
major role in their diagnosis and treatment. This inspired me to focus on
showcasing the importance of MLS in a condition as common and impactful as
kidney disease.
Before starting
this capstone, I expected it to be mostly literature-based and focused on
writing. However, it turned out to be much more practical and reflective,
especially with the inclusion of case studies from my clinical experience. It
allowed me to connect what I learned in the classroom to real-world
applications in the hospital setting.
One of the most
challenging aspects was organizing information from multiple laboratory
departments into a clear and cohesive project. Each department has its own methods
and significance and bringing them together required careful thought. At the
same time, one of the easier parts was relating the findings to renal disease,
as I had observed many relevant cases during my rotations. I was also surprised
by how interconnected the departments are and how each one contributes a piece
to the overall clinical picture.
If I were to
expand this research, I would focus more on specific types of renal disease,
such as acute kidney injury or chronic kidney disease, and explore how
laboratory findings change over time. I would also consider including more
detailed patient case studies to show disease progression and treatment
outcomes.
Overall, this
experience has strengthened my understanding of the critical role of Medical
Laboratory Science in healthcare. I have gained a deeper appreciation for the
impact of accurate laboratory testing and the responsibility that comes with
it. This project has also reinforced my interest in the field and prepared me
to apply my knowledge in a professional setting, where I can contribute to
patient care through reliable and meaningful laboratory results.
No comments:
Post a Comment