Monday, April 15, 2024

The Class of 2020

Lauren Curcio, Verrazzano Class of 2024, completed major in Psychology and minor Cinema Production

This project was the first big documentary I ever directed and produced. It was definitely tough, but I made it work. I was able rent equipment from Media Culture for two weeks in early June. I reached out to my friends who I graduated high school with in 2020, and they agreed to being interviewed. I was able to get four people, which was enough to fit in my timeframe.

The interviews were scheduled during the summer since everyone was off from school. Everyone had work but luckily, it worked out with three of my friends. The fourth person I was able to film at a later time.

When conducting the interviews, I wanted to make them feel more comfortable by conducting them in their own personal spaces. I wanted the interviewees to not only answer the questions, but show something that was a part of them. For example, Rosa gave a room tour since she moved into her new house and had her own room for the first time during Covid. Joe shared his retro collection, Iris showed her computer and desk, and Gianna showed her new desk and bookshelf. Each space demonstrated something about the person. I wanted the viewers to not only hear their stories, but see and get to know the people themselves. Each subject did a great job with their interviews. They went into such great depth with each response, while also showing what best represents them.

After shooting, the editing process took a while. Even though the project was almost twenty-two minutes long, the editing process could take days, even weeks. I took it one step at a time and spoke with my supervisor. I showed her parts of the project I edited and she shared her thoughts. I had to reshoot some parts and also add new clips.

I ended up shooting scenery at different schools and towns early on a Sunday morning. It was great because everywhere was practically a ghost town. I was able to film without worrying about pedestrians. I enjoyed working on this project and will continue to work on projects like this post-graduation.






No comments:

Post a Comment