Monday, March 18, 2024

An Unforgettable Experience in an Ensemble

Huma Ahmad, Verrazzano Class of 2024, completed major in Political Science and minor in Spanish

It seems like just yesterday when I participated in my final performance for A Doll’s House alongside my fellow actors. The atmosphere in the dressing room was charged with anticipation as we readied ourselves for the stage. It was during this preparation that a fellow actress proposed the idea of collaborating on an independent play with the current ensemble. Recognizing the merit of this suggestion, I embraced the concept wholeheartedly, and the journey from that moment has brought us to the present.

The subsequent day marked the culmination of our efforts in a directed student-based production titled Rossum’s Universal Robots. The array of emotions I experienced—ranging from joy to a tinge of melancholy—reflects the myriad challenges and lessons that have defined our collective journey over the months. The exhaustive hours, days, and months invested in rehearsals ultimately allowed me to immerse myself in the role of Helena Glory. This transition posed a personal challenge, as my prior commitment to embodying the character Nora from A Doll’s House raised concerns about seamlessly adopting a new persona. However, overcoming this apprehension enabled me to authentically connect with the essence of Helena Glory.

As I reflect on my acting journey spanning the last year and a half since my initial foray into the discipline, I am struck by the sense of completion. From my inaugural class with Professor Wickstrom to the mastery of acting fundamentals, I am profoundly grateful for the experiences and opportunities afforded to me by Staten Island College. The recent trilogy of performances was not merely a conclusion, but a celebration of profound emotions and significant accomplishments, instilling in me a desire to perpetuate such experiences in my future endeavors.

Looking ahead, I aspire to sustain my involvement in theatre beyond my tenure at CSI. I am hopeful that, post-graduation, avenues to participate in diverse theatrical productions will continue to unfold. The last three nights of my performance have solidified my commitment to the craft, and I eagerly anticipate the prospect of contributing to and participating in future theatrical ventures.






No comments:

Post a Comment