Monday, December 4, 2023

The NYPD

Angye Galan, Verrazzano Class of 2023, completed major in Sociology/Anthropology with minors in Business Management and Italian

This capstone aims to dissect the NYPD and educate people about the current reality of the institution. It is argued that the department is in dire need of police officers, due to members of the service retiring and/or leaving the force. The research focuses on understanding the NYPD as an organization by drawing on the theoretical constructs of Organizational Behavior such as Gareth Morgan’s “Images of Organizations.” Factors studied include the quality of the workplace, high demands, problems due to low staff, and quality of life. As a cadet at the NYPD and working with different ranks from police officers to inspectors, I’ve observed members of the service's daily working environment and analyzed the organization's functions. I studied how the NYPD has developed over the years, its current struggles, and what will be necessary for its sustainable survival to keep New York City safe.

During my capstone research, I learned so much about the NYPD. As an NYPD cadet I was able to interact and experience the ins and outs of the NYPD, at the precinct level. I was surrounded by all ranks of the department, from police officers to inspectors. During my research, I was able to observe the daily duties of police officers, officers on patrol, specialized units, sergeants, and so on. My first-hand experience has educated me about the NYPD, and all of the hard work they put in every day. During my research, I had the opportunity to work with my mentor, Professor Isabell Rechburg from Business Management. She was able to guide me throughout my research and help make correlations to different theories I studied.

I am extremely grateful for the work and what this internship has provided. In working with New York’s finest I have the opportunity to work with many different mentors that I treasure. I’ve met many people and networked through the precinct. It was always my dream to become a police officer, and this opportunity has opened many doors. It made me realize that even though times are bad, the members of service always strive to give back to the community as first responders. I’ve learned that there many are many opportunities in the NYPD if you work hard.

This internship truly opened my eyes, and now more than ever I want to become a police officer. My career is in the New York Police Department, and thanks to this internship I feel prepared and more educated about the department. I am extremely grateful to be a Police Cadet, and grateful for what this research and experience have taught me. Therefore, I’m happy to say that I will be joining the NYPD’s July 2023 academy class to become a police officer.




No comments:

Post a Comment