Monday, November 20, 2023

The Effects of COVID-19 on K-12 Education

Nicholas Marino, Verrazzano Class of 2023, completed major in Psychology

While thinking about what to research for my Capstone Project, I knew I wanted to make it about something that was current and relevant. I wanted it to be something that I experienced, connected with, and related to. After I set those standards for myself, the research topic became abundantly clear. Myself, my graduating class, my friends, and family all experienced the pandemic, and all had to adapt to the unfortunate circumstances. However, at that time I was in my second year of college and wasn’t quite aware of the effects that COVID-19 had on students in grades K-12. The change from in-person learning to remote learning changed how education had to be given to students. Taking everything into account; my interest in this topic, and my personal connection to it, it was an awesome experience being able to depict the specific effects of the pandemic on education.

To perfectly capture the long-term effects on education, I had to categorize and separate each role individually. For example, in my research I had sections dividing students, teachers, and faculty. Each role had their own breakdown of the negative effects that COVID-19 had on them, ranging from performance to mental health. Essentially, I learned that the pandemic had only negative long-term effects on these groups. Students experienced an alarming decrease in grades, paired with an increase in mental health issues like depression and anxiety. Teachers experienced a change in their motivation and dedication towards their job, with an increase in mental health issues.

My capstone project allowed to me understand the importance of the education system and what the implications would be if the normal routine is changed. Switching from in-person learning to remote learning has an long lasting impact on society. Students will be expected to carry on to the next grade without being prepared, creating a domino effect that will roll over in their future education. However, with proper attention and providing essential services to students, it is possible to give every student a chance to get back on track with their curriculum. Without a doubt, further research will be needed in the following years to evaluate how students who withstood the pandemic are tackling their future education or careers.




No comments:

Post a Comment