Monday, August 7, 2023

Researching the Change from Analog to Digital Editing

John Wilson, Verrazzano Class of 2023, completed major in Cinema Studies and minors in Design & Digital Media and Italian

Through researching for my capstone project, I’ve learned so much more about editing than I already knew. Film editing is a rich subject with a storied history spanning a century, so naturally there was a lot for me to learn about. Additionally, I was glad to learn about new ways to conduct academic research, as it helped me to gather various sources to use in my project.

The volume of academic articles and journals that exist in regards to editing in particular actually surprised me. I knew that there were a number of publications about making movies or the history of film, but I’ve recently learned that there’s actually a number of verified publications about editing in particular. My favorite publication was In the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch. Being able to have the perspectives of one of the most famous editors in the history of film was highly influential to my project.

Lastly, I loved getting to use Star Wars as a case study, as it’s my favorite movie series. It has such a rich history in regards to editing, so it made for a perfect film to use as a study. I’m really glad to have had the opportunity to research the history and evolution of editing, as editing is one of my favorite parts of the filmmaking process. In all, I think this project has been an amazing learning opportunity for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment