Monday, June 5, 2023

Actions and Tactics of Al-Qaeda After 9/11

Nathan Tinovsky, Verrazzano Class of 2023, completed major in Political Science and minor in Business

My research on the impacts that the 9/11 attack had on the actions and tactics of Al-Qaeda began in the fall of 2021. When I first began my research, there was not a lot of primary source material available to help with this study and I relied mainly on secondary sources and other studies to reach my conclusion.

I originally concluded that Al Qaeda’s actions and tactics were not deterred due to the attacks on 9/11. I referred to studies that suggested that media coverage of terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda was directly linked in spreading global fear, which made it more likely for organizations like Al-Qaeda to commence more attacks. I also found that when terrorist groups gain notoriety through the media, recruitment for these organizations increases, particularly followers who emerge from around the world, as we have seen with other organizations such as ISIS.

When I resumed my research in August 2022, primary source material and other new information was made available, which ultimately helped evolve my research. Based on this new information, my conclusion on how the impacts that the 9/11 attacks had on the actions and tactics of Al-Qaeda changed as well. This new information has given my research new perspectives, concluding that Al-Qaeda's actions and tactics were deterred post 9/11.




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment