Monday, June 13, 2022

SLS 301: Learning About the Philosophy of Confucianism

Daniella Del Priore, Verrazzano Class of 2023, completing major in SLS (1-6)

 

In my SLS 301 course in the Fall 2021 semester, one topic we studied that resonated with me was the ancient Confucian tradition of filial piety. Filial piety is also known as Xiao. It has shaped equity, support, care, living arrangements, and family and social relations in China for generations. Filial piety is demonstrated, in part, through service to one’s parents and elders. Demonstrating it is the honor and respect that children show their parents, grandparents, and elderly relatives. This was of great importance to the followers of Confucianism in China. The Analects, an ancient Chinese book composed of a large collection of sayings and ideas attributed to Confucius (the founder of the philosophy of Confucianism), interpreted filial piety in many different ways. The idea in the classical text is discussed and brought up numerous times, further proving its importance to society.

The ancient Confucian idea of filial piety makes sense to me, and I can understand why it would be viewed  so importantly. In my own life I have a plethora of care, love, and respect for my parents and elders. There would be no hesitation to demonstrate the concept of filial piety towards them. Whenever my parents or elders need me I am always there, willing to help and care for them.

The relationship with my family is very close knit, and I am fortunate to have such a respectful, appreciative, and fond relationship with them. My parents and elders have done so much for me growing up and they raised me to be the person I am today. I am grateful to live the life that I live, and way I was raised is a big part of that. I have so much to thank my parents and elders for.

To demonstrate a deep respect to my parents and elders is vital to me, just like it was thousands of years ago in ancient China, specifically through the philosophy of Confucianism. Followers in ancient China cared so much about filial piety and emphasized the importance, which is why this idea resonates with me vis a vis my own personal familial upbringing.





No comments:

Post a Comment