Monday, May 16, 2022

Effects of Online Learning for Students During COVID

 Madison Baialardo, Verrazzano Class of 2022, completed major in Mathematics and minor in Education

Becoming an educator is something I have dreamed of since I was in grade school. Due to the pandemic being an educator has become a challenging job. With students learning remotely it has been very hard for teachers to keep them engaged. As a future educator, I  can only imagine how hard it has been to keep students focused while they are at home.

There are pros and cons to remote learning that are different for each age group. Remote learning may be more of a challenge for elementary school students, but older students  may find the flexibility, time management, recording, technology, and money are all a huge part  of online learning.

I’m a very outgoing person and I did not realize that some students like online learning better. Some students do not like to interact and do group work, therefore being remote is a positive lens for these students. However, being remote is also hurting the mentality of students. Depression has increased among students since remote learning has begun.

As a college student, I felt that the flexibility, time management, and money saving aspect were  huge assets to online learning. Being remote allowed me to study longer and work more. I did not have to drive to campus, which saved time. I also managed my time better with assignments and saved money by not needing to pay for parking or gas. These pros were very helpful to many college students all across the country.

Although I feel that remote learning was a huge advantage for myself, I now realize that other students struggled. I was also able  to observe classes online so I was able to see the teacher's perspective as well. I can see many blank screens and the same students participating which I feel hurts the class. I asked the teacher what she thought of the blank screens and she replied, “I have no idea if they are paying attention. But I will continue to try to pull everyone in.”





No comments:

Post a Comment