Monday, October 18, 2021

Learning the Benefits of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in Education

Angelina D’Aquino, Verrazzano Class of 2021, completed major in English Education (7-12) with a concentration in Writing, with minors in Literature and ASL 

 

 

My capstone project has been a very different experience then any project I have completed in my college career. Being able to focus on a topic of my choice and work with a professor who has influenced me so much has been an incredible experience. My capstone project focuses on one of the three main aspects of the widely accepted Universal Design for Learning (UDL), and the positive affect that multiple means of expression can have on academic integrity in the classroom.

As I enter the teaching profession, and through my student teaching, I have seen the positive effects in action. By offering students choices in how they express their knowledge (multiple means of expression), students can take responsibility for their own learning. Students learn in a variety of ways, so assessing students and only allowing them to present their knowledge in one form may discourage students who struggle in that area of expression. I offer my students choices throughout every lesson I create, whether it’s being able to choose from one of two options for their Do Now, or even between options on their homework (draw a picture with a caption or write a paragraph).

Being able to do research on a topic that I am passionate about, getting helpful feedback from my mentor, and applying what I have learned with my students has taught me so much about the importance of offering that choice. Creating a healthy learning environment for my students to flourish and providing all of the necessary scaffolding that they need to succeed is my goal as a teacher. Doing this project has helped me discover new techniques in how to improve myself as a teacher, so I can be the best teacher I can be for my students. Being able to apply all I have learned has been an amazing opportunity.

"The Road Not Taken" which represents life choices.

                                                

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment