Monday, May 3, 2021

Computer Science Major Creates a Fitness and Wellness Application

 Daniel Dolan, Verrazzano Class of 2021, completed major in Computer Science, with minors in Business Finance and Business Management

Throughout the process of developing my project, I learned the importance of planning ahead and formulating ideas into diagrams. My vision for this project was tweaked and altered many times, as I researched technologies and learned from others mistakes online.

The hardest part of this project was not the actual code, rather it was the back end logic needed to store user’s data. I spent much of my time creating the database as well as connecting the logic of the backend to my workouts page. Additionally, I researched exercises that I believe could be used by people of all ages. As a fitness enthusiast, I wanted my web application to apply to all, not just those who go to the gym.

The process of learning how to design the exercise cards was quite challenging. Personally, I am not great at designing, and lack artistic abilities. By researching and using the tool Bootstrap (a design tool for web development), I was able to create attractive workouts cards so users could see a visual image to assist them find a workout they like.

 In order to develop this project further, I would like to attach videos on my workout page so that users could see how to do the actual workout by a fitness expert. Furthermore, I would like to create another part of my web application that contains a store where users can purchase gym equipment and other health related products that I believe are beneficial. I want my web application to be a one-stop shop for all things fitness and nutrition. This project was created with my TTP group, but I have only taken credit for the work I completed. 

 

Above is an image of my web application that I designed. You can see each exercise is in the shape of a card with an image showing what the exercise looks like.

 

This is an image of how I want to further my application. I'd like to create a store for all fitness related products. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment