Sunday, April 18, 2021

Studying Abroad in Fukuoka, Japan!

 Kwan (Gaby) Ho, Verrazzano Class of 2020, completed major in Psychology, with minors in Chinese, East Asian Studies, and Business

My exchange at Seinan Gakuin University in Fukuoka, Japan was an experience of a lifetime. I really do mean that! It changed my life indefinitely even though it was only one semester, and was the most memorable time of my life. Residing in the on-campus international dorm gave me the traditional college experience. My dorm mates were not only from all around the country but from all parts of the world, and these friendships were parts of my exchange that I will never forget. I was able to connect with people who had extremely different life experiences than me.

Even though I was in Fukuoka Japan, my experience extended further than just Fukuoka. Talking to each of my dorm mates was equivalent of holding the key to opening the door into a completely different society from the ones that I am familiar. Even though we were all culturally diverse and held a variety of different values and customs, some were more similar than others were, and we were all able to live in harmony together and connect to each other. This was different than taking a holiday or vacation, because I was not only exposed to Japanese culture but literally the entire world.

This experience has influenced me to the extent that it has changed my political and social views because I learned how to look through a different lens every time I spoke with someone. The college experience on campus just felt like being in a time capsule on an alternate universe. The whole experience felt surreal beyond words.

Of course, it was not perfect all the time. There were cultural differences, working through the cultural barriers, and living with people who had dramatically different lives than mine. At times, I could not even tell if someone was being sarcastic or serious because our lives were that drastically different. I can go on and on indefinitely about my exchange, but other students will have to experience it for themselves because everyones experience is unique!


No comments:

Post a Comment