Monday, September 7, 2020

Researching the Internet of Things

Matthew Henschke, Verrazzano Class of 2020, completed major in Computer Science 


Wow, what a journey it has been throughout my capstone! Completing this project was one of the most challenging but rewarding tasks I completed throughout my undergrad. Before my capstone, I had no prior experience in completing a capstone or thesis. Moreover, I had no idea what I was getting myself into with the months and months of research I was going to be conducting. The cherry on top was writing a scholarly paper on a topic of my choosing, where its length would be equivalent to the combined lengths of every English paper I wrote throughout college.
             My topic was on data visualization of different Internet of Things systems. The Internet of Things is simply a system where everyday devices that we use can be connected to the internet. For instance, books, pills, home appliances, and even food can be a part of this paradigm. Once a device is connected to the internet, it can send or receive its specific data to other connected devices or upload it to the network that it is in. For instance, if I have a bunch of devices that have sensors that record different temperatures, this data can be uploaded to the Internet where it can be seen by the device owners or anyone in the same network. Thus, my capstone relied on taking this data and making it look “pretty” by visualizing it using digital gauges and thermometers provided by an online platform known as ThingsBoard.
              The Internet of Things was one of the concepts that was not taught in any of the Computer Science classes that I have taken. However, I kept hearing stories on how the Internet of Things is having an impact on our lives whether at home, shopping, or at work, and I wanted to learn more about this movement. Thankfully, my professor was already looking to do research on the Internet of Things, and I ended up using our research as our Capstone.
            Completing this research allowed me to gain perspective on the endless months that it takes to conduct research effectively. It was definitely not like the research papers that I completed during my English classes. It took about a year to finish researching and experimenting to start my paper. However, it definitely paid off when it came to writing my paper, as I didn’t feel “lost” like I usually would feel when starting to write a paper.
             At the end of the day, I absolutely believe that completing this Capstone has prepared me for my career in the Tech Industry. It has taught me how to effectively conduct research and utilize it into a thesis paper that could potentially become a publication once I present it at the WOCC 2020 Conference in Newark, NJ. I feel that this capstone is going to stay with me for the rest of my life and will follow me as I begin my career and finish my undergrad.
            While I would have the jitters from hearing the word capstone at first, now hearing it makes me realize how far I’ve come throughout my time as a Verrazzano student at CSI. It makes me realize that if I can handle such an arduous task as completing a capstone, I can overcome any obstacles that can follow me throughout my life even after college. 

No comments:

Post a Comment