Monday, April 13, 2020

Ending the Stigma of Bipolar

Alex Reems, Verrazano Class of 2019, completed major in Nursing

 I chose to do my capstone on ending the stigma of bipolar disease because my goal is to become a psychiatric nurse.  During my time completing my Capstone I gained insight on how many people are diagnosed with bipolar disorder and all of the stigmas they face on an every day basis.  I was really surprised with some of my finding during my research.  I enjoyed working with a professor because I learned how to search for proper sources and accurate information.  

In my capstone I devised a plan on how to reduce stigma by using psycho-education techniques that were proven to be successful in recent studies.  In my Stigma Reduction Program I combined all of the psycho-education tools into one.  I believe if I continued this project and actually started my own stigma reduction program I would see great results.  I can definitely see myself pursing more research and education projects in the future.  

Nursing is an ever-changing and advancing career where research is always necessary.  I didn’t think I would be so interested in research projects, but after completing the capstone by thoughts were changed! 













No comments:

Post a Comment