Monday, September 10, 2018

Tackling Cancer Research as a Chemist and a Biologist


Tackling Cancer Research as a Chemist and a Biologist

Mohamed Al Sharif is a Verrazano alum, Class of 2018. He majored in Biology with a minor in Arabic, and is a fan of complicated questions, in and outside of research!

Mohamed, back row, at CSI's Undergraduate Research Conference with research team
Since my first year at college, I have been actively involved in two independent research studies. While taking a General Chemistry course in my first semester at CSI, my professor invited me to conduct research in her laboratory during the summer. My research involved performing computer-based simulations to study the interactions between biomolecules. My project later on advanced to study the transfer free energies of drugs that potentially target cancer cells and cells involved in Alzheimer’s disease. However, since chemistry and biology are intertwined, I wanted to additionally perform research in a biology laboratory to correlate between theoretical data obtained from my chemistry research project with actual data obtained from a laboratory in biology, and I did! The following semester, I started working in a laboratory that studies the effects of anti-cancer agents derived from plant compounds on cervical cancer cells. It always felt rewarding to obtain data that was promising in the field of cancer. Additionally, being awarded the CSI Undergraduate research award twice, the Dean of Science and Technology Undergraduate Research Fellowship twice and an NSF Research Fellowship in Biochemistry, Biophysics and Bioengineering, supported my research. I am most proud of earning authorship on an article published in a scientific journal for the contributions I have made to these studies. Knowing that my dedication and commitment to research will provide a solution to a major health issue has increased my passion for conducting research. I am confident that during the time I have been involved in research, I have developed laboratory and critical thinking skills that will allow me to plan and carry out future experiments independently and effiecntly.

No comments:

Post a Comment